Chocolate Ganache Cake
- 3 cups flour
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon espresso powder
- 2 Tablespoons vinegar (we used balsamic with fig)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups cold water
- 3 Tablespoons corn syrup
- 170 mls cream
- 1 cup dark chocolate chopped into small pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 13″ x 9″ lightly with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, salt and espresso powder, if using.
- SIn a medium bowl, whisk together the vinegar, vanilla, olive oil and water. (I used a 4 cup liquid measuring cup and measured the water and oil in it, then added the vanilla and vinegar.)
- Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk until fully combined. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out with a few moist crumbs. Set aside to cool.
- Make ganache. In a small saucepan, combine the corn syrup and heavy cream. Bring to a simmer and add the chocolate. Stir until smooth and glossy. Remove from heat and add the vanilla.
- Pour ganache over cake and spread evenly.
- Serve with olive oil ice cream or vanilla ice cream topped with a little fresh olive oil makes a great substitute.